Sunday, May 1, 2011

I used to frequent this place when I was very young, going there for breakfast on a Sunday morning. Haven't been there for years, as far as I can remember. Reminiscing the good old days, I recalled the place wasn't what it is like today. Back then, there is no hawker centre but just a shack, everybody crowding under this big tree which is still around today. A very ordinary outlet that can be easily missed if not for the throngs of foodie like myself, waiting in line for a table.



Everything at guo tiao zi is about braised tofu, pig innards, eggs, pork, salted vegetables etc ... mostly braised stuffs and the most important of it all, the kuey tiao. I would skip the braised pork innards for sure.

My favourite, the braised tofu and eggs. Nicely braised and not too salty. I can easily finish a plate of this with a bowl of kuey tiao.




Add another plate of this, braised tau-kee (beancurd skin) and I will STILL managed to clean them all up. Personal favourite as well :)



A plate of gooey yet crunchy braised pig skin. A very good example of what I do not fancy.



Choices are not much but this more or less cover up 70% of what's available at the stall. From an anti-clockwise direction, you have the braised pork, tau-kee, chinese sausage, pig skin, pig stomach, salted vegetables and in the middle, my favourite ... braised beancurd and eggs.


Food: 7.0/10
Price: 7.0/10
Service: 6.5/10
Conclusion: Having craving for some hot soupy guo tiao zi in the early morning, look no further than this stall at Taman Tasek. I must admit it's a bit way out of the city area but it's the laid-back atmosphere and tranquility which I'm looking for. Eating your breakfast under a giant tree, surrounded by housing estates and with the main flow of traffic few streets away. Recommended





View Larger Map

Hawker centre along Jalan Tasek

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

1 comment: